Chelsea vs. Basel 1893
After a last-minute goal guaranteed victory for Chelsea in the first leg of this tie, Basel were behind going into this game. The last English team in the competition and the hosts of this match would have a slight advantage going into this match but knew from experience that Basel wouldn’t be easy opponents.
The first half kicked off well for both sides as they each had early decent attempts. Marco Streller, Frank Lampard, Fernando Torres, Eden Hazard, Valentin Stocker, and Ramires Nascimiento all had good chances in the first thirty minutes of the game, in that order, but the game would remain goalless at least for the first half, well almost! Just at the end of the first half, an instrumental Mohamed Salah managed to break the deadlock with the good help of his opposite-side winger, Valentin Stocker. Petr Cech was left beaten and the visitors were the ones smiling as both sides headed to the dressing-rooms at half-time.
The second half came and it didn’t take long for the hosts to turn the game around, scoring 3 great goals in 9 minutes. Striker Fernando Torres, left winger Victor Moses, and David Luiz (who was playing as a defensive midfielder on the night) were the “culprits.” 5 minutes after the beginning of the second half, Torres struck well with his right foot to restore the lead on aggregate for his side. Shortly after, Victor Moses (whose work had been cut out) tapped a second one in, and David Luiz, just 7 minutes later, scored a brilliant goal from a significant distance to just about finish the job well.
Although there was still half an hour to play after these three Chelsea goals, Basel could do nothing to get the game back, meaning Chelsea were through to yet another European Final, which, going with the quality of their game on this night and throughout the tournament, was very much deserved.
- Chelsea had 1 more attempt (17) over Basel (16)
- Chelsea were 76.47% on target and enjoyed 53% possession, while Basel had the remaining 47% possession and were 37.5% on target
- Chelsea were awarded 15 free-kicks on the night, while Basel got 9
- 18 fouls were committed between the two teams on the night; Basel committed 66.7% of those fouls (12 fouls), while Chelsea committed the remaining 33.3%% (6 fouls)
- Chelsea were awarded 7 corners, while Basel were given only 4
- Petr Cech made 5 saves as opposed to Yann Sommer, who made 9
- Both sides made 3 substitution each, all of which occurred in the second half
- A total of 4 yellow cards was issued between the two teams by Suede referee Jonas Eriksson; 3 of those yellow cards went to Basel and 1 to Chelsea
- No players were sent off during this match
Rafael Benitez and Murat Yakin lined up the following squads:
Chelsea Starting XI
Cech, Azpilicueta, Ivanovic, Cahill, Bertrand, Lampard (c), Luiz, Ramires, Hazard, Moses, Torres
Subs: Turnbull, Ake, Ferreira, Terry, Benayoun, Oscar, and Mata
Basel Starting XI
Sommer, Steinhofer, Schar, Sauro, Voser, Frei, Salah, Elneny, Die, Stocker, Streller (c)
Subs: Vailati, Ajeti, Ho, Degen, Diaz, Cabral, and Zoua
Final Score: Chelsea* 3-1 Basel 1893 (Agg: 5-2)
Salah 45+1′ | Torres 50′, Moses 52′, David Luiz 59′
Goals and Assists
- Mohamed Salah’s goal was a left-footed shot in the 1st minute of added time at the end of the first half; it was assisted by a Valentin Stocker pass, and this goal was Mohamed’s second in the tournament
- Fernando Torres’ goal was a right-footed shot in the 50th minute, assisted by a Frank Lampard attempt (which had only just failed); this goal was Fernando’s fifth in the tournament
- Victor Moses’ goal was from a Fernando Torres shot, which he met and was able to tap in from close range; this goal was Victor’s fourth in the tournament
- David Luiz’s goal was a long-rage left-footed shot into the corner of Yann Sommer’s net, assisted by a Frank Lampard pass; this goal was David Luiz’ second in the tournament
Europa League Final
Having eliminated Basel, Chelsea are through to the final of the competition and will face the winner of the second semi-final tie: either SL Benfica of Portugal or Fenerbahce SK of Turkey.
Written by Ange Marline